About Gingoog City
Looking back in pre-Hispanic era, Gingoog originates from a thriving Manobo settlement in the area presently situated by Barangay Daan Lungsod. With influx of migrants as years passed, the settlers decided to transfer to a wider area for settlement.
A spacious or wider area with room for growth and expansion was considered by the settlers at Gahub-Mangiskis, beside the river and the seashore.
Gingoog became a Spanish pueblo in 1868 and became a municipality in 1903 under the United States administration. During this period the town’s economic growth was spurred by agricultural development and the benefits of forest product/wood-based production by then Sta. Clara and thence Anakan Lumber Company logging operations and the Mindanao Plywood Corporation.
On June 18, 1960 Gingoog became a Charter City. From third Class, Gingoog city became First Class city in 1982 and continued on to be adjudged Most Outstanding Component City of Region 10 in 1984.
Before the city was served its light and power needs by MORESCO II on December 17, 1978, CEPALCO, a private service firm cater to the city’s needs until the former withdraw its services for reasons leaving the latter experiencing dark nights.
Gingoog is located in the Province of Misamis Oriental in the Philippines. Situated in Mindanao island, the second giant of the archipelago of all the landmass of the Philippines. The city is approximately 122 kilometers east of Cagayan de Oro City and 74 kilometers west of Butuan City. It is bounded on the east by the Municipality of Magsaysay, Misamis Oriental, the Province of Bukidnon; the Municipality of Claveria, Misamis Oriental on the south; and on the north by Gingoog Bay. Its total land area is 744 km².
Gingoog City is politically subdivided into 79 barangays. In 1957, the sitio of Malibud was converted into a barrio.